It is no secret that Twitter is a fabulous way to interact on social media. But the real secret is how you use Twitter so that you are engaging and provide interesting information that your followers want to read and share. Having others share your tweets is how you know that you are on the right track and really reaching their interests. Remember, it is about what they are interested and want to read that will create the engagement.
Here are some ways that you can make sure that you are reaching current and new followers on Twitter.
1. Educate yourself about the usage of hashtags on Twitter. When you Tweet out important business information and/or tips, your tweet should have a maximum of two #hashtag keywords. Do not hashtag every word in your Tweet. That is annoying to your readers.
2. Try to avoid using slang and abbreviations in your Tweets because not all users and followers will know what those words mean. Stick to normal everyday English language which gives a more professional appearance to your messages. Break a message in 2 tweets if absolute necessary, but they should be intact on their own for those that only catch 1 part.
3. If you are including a link in your Tweet it is best to shorten the link using one of the many URL shorteners available. By shortening the link your Tweet will look cleaner and you will have more room to add valuable text info to your Tweet.
4. Be consistent with your Tweeting but don’t over-whelm your followers with too many messages, including business messages. You need to mix up the type of information you are Tweeting to grab your follower’s attention and keep it interesting. Seeing the same old things coming out of the stream is boring and will likely lose followers for you.
5. Be there and be present! While prescheduling Tweets on Twitter has its purpose, you still need to show up and do live Tweeting as often as you can. Followers will label you as a business spammer if all you send out is prescheduled business Tweets. A good rule of thumb is 70% of all tweets should be live and engaging to your followers, without web links. Get personal on your stream. People connect with people.
By taking the time to develop interesting and readable tweets, you are going to increase followers and that means an increase of hits to your site or other engagement that you choose. In a nut shell – be respectful, share with others and most of all, have fun! Follow me on Twitter so we can connect. www.Twitter.com/jilleysue