5 Mistakes to Avoid on Periscope
Periscope is the newest big thing that everyone is jumping on board. Have you downloaded the mobile app yet? If you haven’t, be sure to download it and check out all the fun we are having. This new app gives everyone around the world the ability to live stream in real time. Yes, you can watch people all around the world, as well as communicate and engage with them with comments and hearts. The hearts are much like the like button on Facebook or THUMBS UP. The more you enjoy the content of the person you are watching the more hearts you give.
From day one of Periscope launching I knew it was going to change everything. There is no faking on Periscope. People can not hide behind blogs or visual content. In fact, what is so amazing to me is that I have seen people that have had literally no presence online come out of no where and skyrocket on Periscope. Their personalities shine through and people are generally attracted to who they are and what they have to offer.
With a click of a button, we can be seen live online by anyone all across the world. That is POWERFUL
Just like with any platform, it has already evolved a bit in the last 90 days. We have seen great scopes and some really bad scopes. Now of course there will be many people that use Periscope for pure fun and entertainment but if you plan to use it for business, there are some things that you need to NOT do in order for people to stay tuned in and follow you. Here are my top 5 mistakes to avoid when you are just getting started on Periscope.
Mistakes on Periscope
1. Don’t leave your bio empty. If you want people to follow you and hear what you have to say, then you need to complete your bio. People take 5 seconds to read a bio and decide if they want to follow you. It needs to be good. As you first start out, your Twitter profile and photo will auto populate but you can edit this as soon as you want to.
2. You don’t tell anyone you are on Periscope. Hey you guysssss!!!!! If you want anyone to know when you are broadcasting, you need to let them know you are on Periscope. Go right now to every other platform and post your Periscope handle. Post a short Facebook video. Add it to your blog. Tell everyone you know that you are now on Periscope and have them follow you. Once people follow you, they will get a notification when you go LIVE.
3. They don’t have a plan. Yes Periscope can be fun, but you need to have a strategy. Decide on your content scopes, your fun scopes, your chatting up scopes. Plan your day and make sure you do a Scope every 24 hours. When people go to your account, you want them to be able to view a broadcast that you have done so that they can see what you are all about. If they see a big fat zero under your name, it can give your new potential followers the idea that you are inactive. Write out your plan of attack and stick with it. Consistency is the key!
4. You will hear this one till the end of time. Do not get on Periscope if you do not plan to engage with your viewers. I constantly see broadcasters who are still not even acknowledging the people that are following them. Introduce yourself and then immediately welcome people and thank them for joining you. People love to hear their name. They love to feel special and they love to feel important. Ask your viewers questions. Ask their opinions on your topic. If you don’t plan on engaging, then you might as well jump back over to You Tube.
5. Think about and create a great title. Your title will make all the difference in the world. Your title will show your viewers that you value their time. For example, I have a lot of followers in the Social Media space, but I also have quite a few direct sales consultants who follow me. If my scope is focused primarily on direct sales, then my social media friends might not want to jump into that one. This needs to be pointed out in the title. Let people know exactly what you are talking about so that they know if they should jump in LIVE or they can watch later. Once you get going on Periscope, you will build a community, where no matter what industry people are in, they will jump in to your scopes simply to support you and let you know they value you and what you are doing. Titles are one of the most important parts of Periscopes. Be sure they are laser focused, use hashtags and definitely emoticons to brighten things up and catch people’s eye.
Just get started on Periscope
Don’t over think things. Start out with the 5 tips above and just jump on and get going. Periscopes don’t have to be perfect. You just need to show your true self and engage with people. If you haven’t tried it yet, be sure to jump into our FREE Community, Social Super Group, so that we can support you and cheer you on. You will meet some amazing people and we would love to help. Go for it. You got this.
Ready to really rock your direct sales biz? Join my VIP group for direct sellers & get daily inspiration, tips, monthly training webinars & a whole lotta sassy from an amazing community of Direct Sales GIRLBOSSES!!