It is easy to be excited when you first choose your Direct Sales company and you order your starter kit. You want to shout out your new adventure from the roof top. You are jumping up and down and in the moment you feel like every single person you know is going to be just as excited as you. What do we do next? Yes, you jump on Social Media. Social Media is a great idea. In fact as a coach, I encourage it. However, there are ways to go about announcing your new business launch so that you don’t alienate your friends and family in the first few minutes of your journey. Here are 5 things to avoid doing when you get started:
- Adding your family & friends to events and/or private groups. This is probably the biggest pet peeve right now of almost everyone I know, including current Direct Sellers in the industry. I don’t know what companies are out there telling your consultants to do this, but please stop. It is the black death of success on Social Media. Consultants may do well initially but eventually they will be blocked and you will lose business. When you add people to groups without their permission or your mailing list, or your event, all you are doing is annoying people. They may have bought from you initially but they certainly will not now. Do not do it. DS Companies: Hire a Social Media Consultant. A good one. When you hire a good one, they will teach you this within minutes of being hired.
- Posting only Marketing posts of your new business. Hey guess what? I know you have heard it but I will say it again. Your personal Facebook Page is for PERSONAL posts. Your Business Fan Page is for business. It isn’t anyone’s fault that you are aren’t familiar with how to market your business page but fact is fact. Facebook doesn’t not allow marketing on personal pages. You can say, “but everyone does it.” That may be true, but you will soon find your spammy, marketing flyer personal pages in FACEBOOK JAIL.
- Focusing on Selling instead of building relationships & sharing the Journey. Number 3 goes along with number 2. People really want to see you on your journey and what you are doing. Instead of constantly posting sales flyers, post what you are doing in your business. Are you meeting friends? traveling? at events? Let us see. That is what will resonate with people. If your customers really want to know what you have for sale, they WILL go to your business page. I promise.
- Pretending or being inauthentic. Be YOU! No one else. Don’t post what everyone else posts. Don’t copy other consultants. People are smart and they know when you are being in authentic. Fact is if you act one way online and then people meet you in person and you are completely different…..well word of mouth can really affect your business. Be true!
- Failing to engage. Too often I see it. So many post on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest. Someone comments and they never go back to water that relationship. You basically just told that customer or potential team member that you really don’t care what they have to say. We all know what it feels like when we are talking and feel like the other person isn’t listening. Social Media is the same idea. Commit to interacting with people on your Social Media platforms. Yes it takes time. Yes its hard work. Nothing worth it is ever easy.
Before you start on different marketing avenues, including Social Media, it is important to be educated on how it works and what the correct ways to use it are. Too many consultants come to me and say, “this platforms isn’t working or that platform isn’t working.” Truth is, using social media to reach people takes time. First you must learn the platforms that you choose to use and then you must be patient. The reason the direct sales industry continues to put a bad taste in people’s mouths is the fact that we spam and flood the feeds with constant marketing flyers instead of building relationships, asking questions, engaging and sharing the journey of the business.
People in general want us to do well. They want to know what we are involved in and what we are doing behind the scenes. After all, that is why we are all on Facebook, Instagram and Live Streaming. People don’t want to watch constant videos or streams full of marketing posts. New Direct Sales consultants are always telling me, “but if I don’t post, they won’t know that I sell something.” Wrong! If you learn how the platforms work, post the journey, and connect with people, your connections are more apt to buy from you because they want to contribute or be a part of your success. It is natural to gravitate towards people who are doing well or successful.
By building your business slowly using Social Media the correct way, you will build a strong following and a loyal customer base. If you copy, paste and post every single company flyer that has ever been created in every group, you will find yourself frustrated and ending your Direct Sales career very quickly.
Ready to really rock your direct sales biz? Join my VIP group for direct sellers & get daily inspiration, tips, monthly training webinars & a whole lotta sassy from an amazing community of Direct Sales GIRLBOSSES!!